Saturday, September 19, 2009

Did you know Joy Bryant wears a weave?

Photo Credit: Glenn Harris/Photorazzi

Did you know Joy Bryant wears a weave? Well, I didn't until I read her blog musings on maintaining a weave and Tyra's unveiling of her own hair. Click here to read her original blog post. I have posted my own comment below. What are your thoughts?
I had absolutely no idea you wore a weave, Joy. While I have natural hair I say wear what you want to wear when you want to wear it. (Now, I'm not above clowning someone whose weave looks like pre-school yarn, but wear what makes you happy.) The only thing that gave me pause was your statement that you feal "human again" after getting your weave done. From that statement I infer you somehow felt "inhuman" wearing your natural God-given hair. I find that a bit sad because you are a beautiful woman; the insecurities you experience are all too human. My greatest hope for all weave-wearers is they hold their own hair in highest regard and see weave as just another option in their fashion arsenal.

9 comments:

  1. Joy's hair looks great. I never would have guessed it was a weave either because it never looks "done". I think your reponse to her was appropriate. You weren't critical. Her statement did make me raise my eyebrows a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know how yall missed that being a weave. look at those edges! those edges and that curly soft hair texture don't match at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are saying they thought a weave would look better than that fuzzy mess on top of her head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weave or not, I'd like to fold her ass up one good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as she talks about getting her hair done it never looks right. It always looks a windblown roots need to be done mess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WELL, IT ALWAYS HAS LOOKED LIKE A WEAVE TO ME. YOU CAN'T HAVE NAPPY EDGES, AND SILKY STRAIGHT HAIR FOLLOWING IT. I'M GLAD YOU ASKED HER ABOUT THE "FEELING HUMAN" THING. IN MY OPINION, HAIR CAN OR SHOULD BE AN ACCESORY, THAT'S WHY I'LL ALWAYS LOVE THAT SONG BY INDIE ARI "I AM NOT MY HAIR". IF A PERSON WANTS TO WEAR A WEAVE, THEY SHOULDN'T BE CRITICIZED FOR IT LONG AS THEIR NOT TRYING TO FAKE THE FUNK. IF A PERSON WANT TO ROCK NATURAL TRESSES, THAN THAT'S GREAT TOO. TO EACH IS OWN. PEOPLE BE TO INTO HAIR WHEN THERE'S TOO MUCH OTHER STUFF TO WORRY ABOUT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far you are the only one who called her out about that "feeling human" remark. I wear weave sometimes and sometimes I wear my hair. I feel human ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "... just another option in their fashion arsenal."

    Me. I AM SO NOT MY HAIR! I am these bad ass Via Spiga's pumps im wearing today though...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geeez...Joy's blog was obviously an attempt to match the preposterous behavior of Tyra Banks. I thought it was obvious that she was over the top on purpose. I'm sure Joy doesn't really unwrap her weave, and "hold it up with her two hands, and bury her face in it"...LOL!

    Seriously though, a national "real hair day", and going on Larry King so that he could tug on your real hair? And how CONVENIENT Tyra didn't declare it National NATURAL Hair Day. I guess she isn't prepared to go that far yet..lol. Tyra's an insecure mess and she's seriously PROJECTING. Joy's blog was hilarious, and this is coming from a woman who's never worn a weave a day in her life.

    ReplyDelete