Friday, August 21, 2009

Blacks are hardly the only ones being racially profiled


Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan galvanized an international protests when he was held for questioning by U.S. Immigration agents at the Newark Liberty International Airport one week ago. Officials deny they detained him officially and insist his stay was only prolonged due to the airline misplacing his luggage. Ironically, Khan was travelling with his family to promote his new film, My Name is Khan. The film examines racial profiling in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States. Angry Indian fans burned U.S. flags and protested his treatment; film stars, sports stars, and politicians routinely receive VIP treatment in airports throughout India and South Asia. Khan appealed to his fans to cease protesting, but vows he will curtail any future visits to the United States.

4 comments:

  1. He may be a movie star in India but no one has ever heard of him here. What did he expect? Welcome to having dark skin in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been detained for questioning EVERY TIME I took a flight thru Newark like maybe 50 times-I didn't take it like it was racist, I took it like the people there were doing their job protecting me and the other passengers which we PAY them to do...I made my flight just like he made his gotdamn flight--If you fly out of Newark regularly you already know they're at least 2 hours behind--NEXT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people thought it was racist because dude is muslim. They were also pissed because he is some big star. They think he should have gotten the red carpet treatment. I saw this on CNN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they should have questioned him. (shrugs)

    ReplyDelete