Friday, August 28, 2009

Attorney gives Jena 6 teen counsel, chance at new life



Alan Howard an attorney, met Jesse Ray Beard, the youngest of the African-American teens who made up the Jena Six, in January 2008 when he began representing him in a lawsuit filed by beating victim Justin Barker. Beard, 18, now interns at a New York law firm as he prepares for his senior year next month at Canterbury School, a Connecticut prep academy where Beard is highly regarded among peers, teachers and coaches.

Howard said his first impression of Beard -- that he had "tremendous character, tremendous resilience and tremendous potential" -- was so strong he invited the teen to live with his family in New England. The Howards say Beard meshes seamlessly. Though he struggled with the curriculum at Canterbury, a Catholic school in New Milford boasting a six-to-one student-teacher ratio, he is seeing tutors and showing improvements.

Around the house, he's a big brother, said Howard, whose children welcomed Beard immediately."My kids were the ones who said, 'If it means getting out of Jena, let him stay here,' " Howard said. "My 14-year-old son said, 'He can share my room,' and he doesn't even let his 11-year-old brother in his room." "He's just another member of the family," Jessie said. "Now, when people ask me how many brothers I have, I say three, not two."

Beard said he could never be proud of his involvement with the Jena Six, but he believes God put him through tribulations to deliver him to a better place.

"I'm not glad it happened, but I'm glad I came to a good family," he said.

See? We're always on our grind. There is never a slow news day on Planet Jackson!

source

1 comment:

  1. This was an uplifting story to read. All you ever hear about those Jena boys is bad news. I'm glad at least one of them got out and made something of himself.

    ReplyDelete