Friday, June 19, 2009

Is Will Smith murking careers like Papa Shady?


Janet Hubert, who played the original Aunt Viv on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, criticizes Will Smith's business practices in her new book Perfection Is Not A Sitcom Mom. According to Hubert, Will didn't want anyone to shine on the show but him and actively maneuvered to keep other actors from getting paid or featured ont he show.

"Smith had people around him who made sure no one outshone him. I was happy to see Don Cheadle become the quality actor that he is, and often wondered how he made it past one episode, as Hilary's boyfriend, being such a fierce actor. No one could be on 'The Tonight Show,' that first season, except Will. And I mean no one."

To be fair, let's let Will defend himself. He has previously addressed Hubert's statements claiming she was a bitter diva who wanted to hog the spotlight for herself

"I can say straight up that Janet Hubert wanted the show to be 'The Aunt Viv of Bel-Air Show" because I know she is going to dog me in the press ... She has basically gone from a quarter of a million dollars a year to nothing. She's mad now but she's been mad all along. She said once, 'I've been in the business for 10 years and this snotty-nosed punk comes along and gets a show.' No matter what, to her I'm just the Anti-Christ."

Global GrindviaWendyista

5 comments:

  1. ...I was watching a Fresh Prince episode with my daughter just yesterday, and Chris Rock dressed up like (the u-go-leest ass) woman to go to the club and was dancing a lil TOO CLOSE to Will, I was like, gotdayum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard this a while ago she felt like Will was trying to get his Matthew Knowles on, but really the show was about his character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can somebody explain to me why she's still harping on some mess that happened 10 years ago? i don't know the dude (nor do i really care to) but many refer to him as the nicest and most humble guy in hollywood so her crusade to destroy his career is pointless, past its time for useful, and its making her look more and more bitter.
    nothing worse than a woman that just can't let something go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this 100%. Will had to climb over a lot of people to get where you are right now. Nice guys finish last in Hollyhood.

    ReplyDelete