Monday, September 21, 2009

Drake has eggwhites egg on his face



Drake has eggwhites egg on his face after indignantly blogging that Kia Shine was lying about writing some of "Best I Ever Had." Kia Shine was photographed holding up three BMI awards for Drake's smash hit "Best I Ever Had" sparking rumors he was a ghostwriter for the song. Kia Shine released a statement claiming a publishing percentage for Drake's album because it sampled a song he had written:

Drake sampled the melody, some of the words, cadence, etc. So because I had
already registered the original record, my business was in order. I sent in the
Drake record and let my legal team handle it from there. We were able to settle
at 25% of the “Best I Ever Had” publishing. It’s a blessing, but the moral of
the story is to “follow up to get your dollars up” and always be prepared and on
top of your business.
Drake denied Kia's claims in his own blog, in essence saying he was lying:

There have been questions posed to me the last few days about the writing of
Best I Ever Had and I figured I’d take the time to clear the air directly. I
have never met Kia Shine or worked with him. I wrote the entire composition in
Toronto and I borrowed one line from a Lil Wayne song that he produced the BEAT for. The claims of 25% ownership are false and for a artist to brag about splits on a song is distasteful to begin with.

Well, Drake is looking kind of foolish right about now because Kia does indeed own a percentage of the publishing rights to Drake's song. He needs to check into getting new advisors and/or management since they neglected to tell him this and let him put himself out there like that.

7 comments:

  1. Drake looks extra stupid. Weezy should have told him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tired of reading about all these stars trying to steal songs and beats from other people. There are enough millions to go around. Now Kia is getting his cut and best believe Weezy already got his. This is the business Drake. You live and you learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thing this fella starting to believe his own hype. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drake is smelling himself a little too much. He ended up looking stupid behind this because he didn't do his homework and ask where the beats and melody were coming from. Shame on Wayne for not telling him but shame on Drake for not handling his own business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if the man wrote some of it he should get paid. No amount of denial will trump a registered song. More of these songwriters should take heed and start suing the pants off Wayne, Beyonce, and others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IT'S BUSINESS, NEVER PERSONAL, ALWAYS BUSINESS!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know Lil Wayne probably thought no one would have the nerve to challenge him about the sample. He is sipping on that syrup too much to maintain. Good for dude Kia--I drive one of those--get that money. The real money is in songwriting.

    ReplyDelete