Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tyler Perry answers his critics



With his increasing success, Tyler Perry's critics get more and more vocal. Perry recently sat down with 60 Minutes to address criticism of the images portrayed in his projects by seminal filmmaker Spike Lee. Personally, I can understand where Lee and other critics are coming from, but I think they misconstrue the intent of characters like Madea. I would hesitate to put her in the same category as Eddie Murphy's Norbit or Martin Lawrence's Big Mama. I think those characters were buffoons that negatively depicted a certain segment of African American women. Madea is a little more complicated. Madea's purpose is to speak the truth and teach a lesson in every Perry stage play and movie. Could the character use a bit more depth? Yes. Could she be a bit less silly? Yes. Does she serve up laughs in the projects? Yes. A lot of people have also criticized Perry's character Mr. Brown. I think Brown is funny in the stage plays. I really enjoy his singing. The outfits are over the top. He is literally a clown, so I think it is fitting. I don't care for Meet the Browns or House of Payne, but I think they are a nice option for African American viewers--particularly in the middle aged and older demographics--who want to watch a safe, family oriented show with characters who look like them. The bottom line is Perry has shown growth in his writing and directing and he still has a way to go. I look forward to seeing what he can produce in the future. I don't like all of Spike Lee's films either, though they are unfailingly thought provoking and beautiful in their execution; I never fail to be moved by Bill Lee's scores and amazed by Spike's use of unusual camera angles and color. I think there is room for both directors in the pantheon of Black fil making.l

2 comments:

  1. when MJ demanded something to put him to sleep, all he needed was a copy of 'Miracle at St. Anna's'

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a terrible movie but some of Tyler's movies leave something to be desired

    ReplyDelete